The fight for Net Neutrality is back on, we round up the news from Build 2018, and get impressed by Tesla's barnacle purge.
Plus we have a question for you, and more!
- Microsoft Build 2018 // Vision Keynote - YouTube
- Microsoft announces Your Phone app for Windows 10 and Timeline coming to iPhone | VentureBeat — These updates are part of Microsoft’s Continue on PC functionality, which, as its name suggests, lets you send a task from your Android or iOS device to your Windows 10 PC. The feature first arrived with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update in October, and Microsoft has been slowly broadening it ever since.
- Google I/O 2018: 8 things to expect from this year’s keynote - The Verge — Google’s annual developer conference will be a jam-packed affair about the future of Android, AI, and the smart home
- Android P will finally restrict apps from monitoring your network activity — A years-old privacy flaw will finally be coming to an end on Android. It’s an issue you’ve probably never heard of, but one that you should absolutely be concerned about. Currently, apps on Android can gain full access to the network activity on your device—even without asking for any sensitive permissions. These apps can’t detect the content of your network calls, but they can sniff any outgoing or incoming connection via TCP/UDP to determine if you are connecting to a certain server.
- Making every phone smarter with Federated Learning - YouTube — Federated Learning works through collaborative learning, using de-identified, aggregated information from many devices to improve machine learning models.
- NSA triples metadata collection numbers, sucking up over 500 million call records in 2017 | TechCrunch
- 4 Things to Be Worried About in the NSA’s New Transparency Report | American Civil Liberties Union
- Tesla Will Lock Out Contractors on Monday Unless Employees Vouch For Them — The company CEO is planning to cut off access to the company to any contractor who doesn’t have a Tesla employee to vouch for the quality of their work.
- Senate vote on the Congressional Review Act May 9th — Upcoming Senate vote on the Congressional Review Act (CRA) resolution to block the Ajit Pai’s repeal is going to define the battle field that we’re fighting on possibly for the next decade.
- SquirrelBot — SquirrelBot is a Telegram bot that saves links that you send it for viewing later. Currently, it only saves Youtube videos and formats them for easy viewing in Kodi. On the roadmap are handling videos from other websites and saving arbitrary links in a personal RSS feed.